Once upon a time the land surrounding Washington, D.C. was forested. Residents escaped the summer heat of the city for the highlands of Forest Glen just over the border between Washington and Montgomery County Maryland. In 1894, a posh boarding school for young ladies was shaped out of a rustic country inn. The private school flourished until 1942, but women’s expectation for higher education evolved from sororities and social status — the finishing school atmosphere — to professional degree programs in science, education, medicine, design and the humanities. The posh school for girls closed.
During the post Viet-Nam war era, the buildings were converted to a U.S. Army research facility and recovery home for soldiers. The structures were neglected during the Army’s ownership.
Now the buildings at National Park Seminary are offered for sale as spiffy condominium apartments and row houses.
Resources on the history of National Park Seminary: